Your Guide to Purchasing a Stair Lift
When your knees, ankles, and hips can’t handle the stress of the stairs, it’s time to look into an alternative mode of transportation. Stair lifts are an excellent option for anyone looking to preserve their mobility and safety. With so many options, it can be difficult to choose the right lift for you and your home. To make your decision easier, here are a few things that stair lift companies in New Orleans want you to know.
· Consider meeting with an occupational therapist. If your joints and muscles cause you pain when you climb stairs, an occupational therapist may be able to shed some light on the situation. Based on your diagnosis, they can recommend specific chair lifts to help you.
· Speak with others who have purchased stair lifts. You may have friends or family members who have installed or worked with stair lift companies in the past. Speaking with them is a great way to find a trustworthy company to work with.
· Explore your star lift options. There are many different models of stair lifts available. It’s important that you choose one that suits your needs and your home. Seated chairlifts are the most popular model installed. It allows the user to sit comfortably while being transported from the bottom to the top of the stairs. Typically, this sort of model is only recommended for people who don’t need a mobility aid that is larger than a walking stick. Perch stair lifts are designed for those who have a hard time sitting. They provide more support to the user’s legs.
· Your staircase should be considered. You’ll need to purchase a stair lift that can travel the length of your stairs. If you have a completely straight staircase, a straight stair lift can be used. These are fitted to the stair tread instead of the wall. Curved stair lifts are designed to go around bends and glide across landings. An outdoor stair lift can also be installed to make accessing your front or garage door easier.
· Expect a home visit. After you’ve reviewed all of your stair lift options, a professional will visit your home to take measurements and ensure that you have made the right choice for your health. After your home has been surveyed, an estimate will be issued. This estimate should include the product and installation.
· Check with your insurance regarding coverage. Depending on your health insurance, an assistive device such as a stair lift may be covered under your policy. Speak with your carrier regarding benefit options before paying for your stair lift.
· Understand the financial obligations associated with your lift. Along with the initial cost of the lift, it’s important to verify the cost of any future fees. Some lifts may include a warranty. Make sure that you understand exactly which parts are covered by this guarantee. If additional repairs and maintenance are needed, make sure that you are financially prepared.
Stair lifts in New Orleans can help to preserve your mobility and save your joints. If traveling up and down the flights of stairs in your home has become bothersome, explore the option of installing a stair lift.